Chapter 3: Kim-Lewis

 Painting always helped Alice think and strategize. And a strategy was definitely what she needed. Eric would think she lied to him when she told him she wasn't pregnant. Ugh. He seemed so happy about it too.
 Well it's not like she "trapped" him. They were already married with a child. What was the worse that could happen when she told him?
 Alice dreaded thinking about Eric's reaction. She loved him but he could be immature at times. This could send him spiraling back into old ways and she didn't want that.
 "Hey Livvy, what would you think about having a little brother or sister?"
"That would be awesome Mama! I'd get to tell them what to do and they could clean up my room."
"Hehehe, yeah, well before all of that, I'd need a lot of your help keeping them cleaned and fed."
Olivia looked at her mother sideways, "For how long?"
"A pretty long time."
"Sigh." the young girl pushed the other half of her sandwich around on the plate, deep in thought.
 "If I help you with my sister or brother, then that means they kind of owe me right?"
Alice snorted, "That's one way to think of it."
"So then I could technically still order them around when they grow up right?"
"Is that all you're looking forward to?"
"I guess it'd be cool to have somebody to play with too."
"That sounds better."
 Olivia looked straight at her mother, "Are you trying to tell me that I AM having a little brother or sister?"
Alice smiled and nodded her head.
"YIPEEEEE!" Olivia squealed.
"BUT, you can't tell anyone ok? That's the deal. You're the first person I've told and I want to be the one to tell the rest of the family."
"Wow! Cool Mama! Don't worry I know how to keep a secret. Just like I never told anyone that Papa has a stash of chocolate chip cookies in the back of Nan Viv's china closet. He even lets me have one every now and again. But...well I wasn't supposed to say anything."
"Uh yeah, well I'm going to need you to keep this secret safer than those." Alice chuckled.
 "Good morning ladies." Vivian finally made her presence known taking a seat next to Alice. "What are you two up to?"
"We're watching tv Nan!" Olivia beamed proud of herself for not spilling the beans.
"Is that so?" Vivian eyed the tv but quickly darted her eyes back to Alice. "Liv hun, do you mind giving your mother and I a few minutes to talk alone?"
"Sure Nan! I've got a project to get started. Can you help me later?"
"Of course honey. I'll be upstairs in a little while."
 Vivian and Alice sat in silence as Olivia bounded up the stairs. Alice's stomach did somersaults waiting on Vivian to speak. She tried her best to act normal and sip her tea.
"Is it so hard for you to just do the right thing?"
"Ma'am?" Alice was genuinely confused.
"I don't know how many times and how many ways I have to try and school you. You just don't listen. You know, you're a bright young woman Alice. You are. I see that in you. And despite how cold you may think I am, I care about you. But you are digging yourself into a hole that even I can't help you out of."
"I don't understand."
"Instead of getting a job, you get pregnant?" Alice felt the heat in her cheeks immediately. "My son is a patient man, but that can only last so long. I see him working to try and reach his goals, trying to do the right thing by you and this family."
"This pregnancy wasn't in the plans for Eric or I. I didn't do this on purpose." Alice felt embarrassed. As a married woman being pregnant shouldn't be something she should be ashamed of.

 "I'm also not a teenager anymore. Eric and I are married. Maybe this isn't what either of us wants right now but we will both love this baby."
"Oh my boy will certainly love his children, no matter how many you try to pop out. You on the other hand, you are another story. If you hold him back from accomplishing his dreams, he'll have no choice but to teach you a lesson."
"A lesson? Vivian, Eric is my HUSBAND. Despite what you think of me, Eric and I have a life together. I don't know if you think because we all live here together that you get to insert yourself..."
"My Dear, don't you dare try it with me. I saw the little spark in you the other morning. I was actually proud that I'd helped pry it out of you Alice. But don't you get funky with me little girl."
Alice felt herself start to deflate. There was no winning with this woman.
"You know nothing about this world and how men will treat you when they're angry. You've only seen one side of my son. But trust me, I'm his mother, he has another side or two. And you're little antics are just going to bring them out of him."
 "No disrespect Vivian, but I've known Eric for over 10 years. We practically grew up together. I know every side there is to him. He's not a complicated man. He loves me because I understand him, I always have."
"Is that so? So tell me what his reaction will be to this, this new child?"
Alice's gaze wandered at Vivian's words. She'd been thinking about Eric's reaction for days now. She knew it wouldn't be good.
 "He'll be shocked just like I was, at first."
"And then what? What comes after the shock? Hmm?"
"He'll realize that nature makes no mistakes. He'll come around."
"You poor naive little girl."
 "Please stop. Stop with the little girl thing. I'm an adult Vivian, just like you."
"Ha! You're nothing like me little girl. Not even when I was your age. I could run laps around you then and I certainly do now. You are stuck in a fairy-tale. You think you've met your Prince Charming and that things will fall into place. But you'll find out for yourself. I'm done trying to teach you."
 "You can't teach me about my husband Vivian. Yes he's your son, but he's different with me as a husband. Maybe you should spend less time trying to teach anyone and more time finding a man of your own."
"You little bitch." Vivian growled. She wanted to smack Alice and even raised her hand to do it, but she heard Dennis' shuffling feet.
 "What's going on here?" Dennis approached the women cautiously. While he didn't know what they were discussing, the tension in the air was obvious.
"Nothing." Vivian said as she rose to her feet and straightened her outfit.
"Everything ok here Ally cat?" Dennis could always get a good read on his daughter.
"Mmmhmm."
He knew that meant "No."
 "Enjoy the rest of your day Dennis." Vivian sauntered off.
Dennis slid down next to Alice and elbowed her playfully. "I have a way with the ladies as you can see."
Alice looked down without responding.
 Dennis slurped his coffee for a moment, unsure of what to say. He looked around and asked in a low voice, "What's really going on here?"
"I'm pregnant."
Her father sputtered and spit a little bit of liquid out as he coughed. Alice jumped into action firmly patting him on the back until he calmed down.
"Wow. Well congratulations!"
"Thanks" Alice took a deep breath.
"I take it that everyone isn't thrilled then." He swirled the dark liquid around in his mug.
"They are not."
"What does Eric think?"
"I  haven't told him yet."
"Oh no Ally. He's the first person that needed to know. Not his mother."
"That wasn't the plan, trust me. She overheard me telling Olivia."
"Well is Olly happy at least?"
The mention of Olivia perked Alice up a bit and she smiled, "Yes. Of course, she's more concerned with bossing her sibling around more than anything."
Dennis laughed out loud at that. "I can't wait to see that. But in the meantime, why haven't you told Eric?"
"Long story short? He made it clear he's not ready for more kids."
"Oh no Alice."
"I didn't do this on purpose."
"I never said that honey. How does a wife purposely get pregnant anyway? I may be old but last I checked, it's a two party process."
Alice chuckled and shook her head. Her dad always had a way of making her feel better. Even when he wasn't trying.
*********************************************************************************
Alice greeted her husband as soon as he got home. Eric thought it was weird Alice was still in her pjs but he didn't put much thought into it. After a little PDA, Alice led him into the living room.
"Babe, I have something to tell you."
"Do I need to sit down?" Eric joked.
"Maybe."
His eyes narrowed, "What's that supposed to mean Alice?"
"Ok. So, remember when I told you that I thought I might be pregnant?"
"Uh yeah and I also remember when you told me the test was negative."
"It was...."
"Ok, so why are you even bringing that up?" The tension that had built in Eric's shoulders relaxed.
"I took another one and it was positive."

 "Hold up. Wait wait wait, what? Nah." Eric's heart began to race. "Take another one."
"I did."
"So take another one. Hell, go to the doctor!" Eric raised his voice.
"I did that too, and it's true."
 "Aww c'mon on Alice! We talked about this man!"
" I didn't plan this Eric. And I didn't do this by myself!" Alice began to tear up.
"Aw f---! What is my mother gonna say?"
"Don't worry, she already let me know her thoughts."
"She knows?"
"She overheard me telling Olivia."
"Aww man. This is not part of the plan right now Alice."
"I know that Eric. What do you want from me?"
 Alice could no longer hold back her emotions. The tears streamed down her face and wouldn't stop.
"I'm sorry. I am. I'm not trying to be a dick." Eric rubbed his head. Alice knew he was still upset when he did that. "Look, I'm not making a whole lot of money Alice. It's bad enough, we've got bills out the kazoo right now. Adding another mouth to feed right now just adds a whole 'nother set of bills."
Alice covered her face and turned away from Eric. She'd considered other options than having this baby and she wasn't comfortable with any of them.
"Look, look, sit down. I'm not trying to upset you, ok?" Eric helped Alice to the couch.

 "I don't want to get rid of it Eric."
"I'm not saying that. That wasn't even on my mind. It's just. Well, does your dad know?"
"He walked in on Vivian and I. He knew something was wrong so I..I just told him."
"So I'm also the last to know? That's great."
"Really Eric?"
"Alright alright. Look, we'll figure this out."
"What's there to figure out?"
 "Babies aren't cheap Alice. Not to mention we have a routine in this house. Adding another person throws all of that out of balance."
"Don't worry about it Eric. I know we've relied on our parents to help with Olivia, but your mother made it painfully clear what she thinks of me earlier. I'm not handicapped, I just liked the idea of Olivia having her grandparents play important roles in her life. I know how to be a mother. I can do this without leaning on Vivian or my father. We can use cloth diapers to cut down on expenses and I'll breastfeed. Once this little one is old enough we can find a daycare and I'll get a job. We can do this differently than we did with Olivia."
 "Seems like you've given this alot of thought."
"I have." Alice swiped at her tears. "Seeing your mother's reaction and dreading yours has kept me busy for a while now. I get it. You have dreams of being successful. Us having another child will not stop you from doing that, ok?" The tears continued to roll.
 Eric reached for his wife and pulled her into him. "I know that baby. I know. I'm sorry. You just caught me off guard with this news. We'll be ok. Alright? We'll be ok." Eric pushed her hair out of her eyes and held her face close to his. "No matter what, I love you. Ok?"
Alice closed her eyes and nodded. He pulled her close again.
One thing Vivian had right was Alice's need for a plan and a backup, and Alice was determined to make one.

Comments